STARTING A BUSINESS IN BELLEAIR BLUFFS
The city requires a Business Tax Receipt for the privilege of engaging in or managing any business,
profession, or occupation within its jurisdiction, pursuant to the classifications and rates as provided in Chapter 118, Sections 1-18, of the City Code of Ordinances and Chapter 205, Florida Statute. This document is provided for informational purposes only and is not to be construed as replacing any rules
or regulations per the City of Belleair Bluffs Municipal Code and/or Florida Statutes. For more information on our Code of Ordinances, please click here.
Evidence of Being in Business
Anyone who sells any goods or services or solicits business or offers goods or services for sale or hire in the city shall be required to obtain a Business Tax Receipt. If any person operates a business at more than one (1) location in the city, each location shall be considered a separate business and a Business Tax Receipt shall be required for each location.
Before Applying for a Business Tax Receipt
- Location: Before leasing space, call this office at 727-584-2151 to determine if the site you have selected for your business is located in the correct land use.
- Fictitious Name Statement or Copy of the Articles of Incorporation: File for a fictitious name registration (also known as a "d/b/a") or file for corporation status if the business will be a corporation. If the business will not be registered either as a Fictitious Name or as a Corporation, then the owner's legal first and last name may be used as the legal name of the business (example: an owner of a residential rental property). Forms and additional information are available from the Florida Department of State.
- Leases: If the physical space to be used for the business is leased, a copy of the lease must be provided. If the business owner owns the property to be used, then proof of ownership is required (such as a copy of the property tax form). If the business is a home-based occupation and the business owner does not own the property, a letter of consent is required from the property owner stating he/she is "aware of and approves" the applicant operating that particular business out of their home.
- Insurance: A copy of a current Certificate of Liability Insurance on the business is required.
- Special Licenses: Obtain required certification for your profession or business; a copy of which will be required along with the business application. Examples of special licenses: Restaurant approval from the Florida State Division of Hotels & Restaurants; professional licenses from the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulations; contractor certification from the Florida State Construction Industry Licensing Board, etc.
- Permits: A permit, contract with the property owner and plans are required before any interior or exterior alterations, construction, electrical, or plumbing work commences. Please call this office at 727-584-2151 for further information/requirements.
- Keep the Business Information Current: If any changes in the business location, ownership, name, type of business operated, or if a new type of business is added at the same or different location, please contact this office immediately at 727-584-2151. This must be done within 15 days of the change in order to keep the account current. If you cease to operate the business, the owner of record must notify this office in writing of the effective date that the business ceased to exist.
- Business Tax Period: All Business Tax Receipts are issued for a period of one (1) year on a fiscal year basis that begins on October 1 each year with all Receipts expiring on September 30. The city will mail renewal notices as a courtesy reminder; however, it is the business owner's responsibility to renew on time. Failure to receive a renewal reminder notice will not exempt the receipt holder from paying any penalties for late payment.
Failure to Renew
Failure to renew on or before September 30 will result in penalties being applied to the total license renewal tax as follows:
|Late Fee Percentage
Note: If said tax and penalty is not paid by November 30 of said year, the mayor, or the authorized representative, shall proceed to have a citation issued to such persons failing or refusing to pay the same for violation of this chapter and providing for a court appearance according to law.
Failure to Obtain
Any person engaging in or maintaining any business, occupation or profession without first obtaining a business tax receipt if required hereunder, shall be subject to a penalty not to exceed 25 percent of the receipt determined to be due. In addition, any person engaging in or managing any business or occupational profession without first obtaining a business tax receipt, if required hereunder, shall, upon conviction thereof, be subject to a fine not in excess of $100.00 and each day of violation after notice shall be considered a separate offense.
Local Business Tax Receipt Forms:
• Business Tax Receipt Application (PDF)
• Merchant Affidavit (PDF)
• Emergency Contact Registration
• Rental Property Application (PDF)
Any person not maintaining a permanent business location or branch office within the municipality may engage in the activities of a business, occupation or profession within the city after registration with the city clerk and the submission of evidence of a current business tax receipt from another municipality or county of the state and the payment of administrative fee of $10.00 to the city clerk.